New Delhi: Today, Hewlett Packard Enterprise held its second annual Global Day of Service (GDoS), bringing together HPE employees from around the world in an effort to assist communities near their work locations and support the important causes the HPE employees care about through volunteer work.
This year 57 countries participated in volunteer projects, including India. Participation this year exceeded last year’s GDoS, where more than 5,500 HPE employees from 119 sites in 42 countries participated, contributing nearly 40,000 volunteer hours.
“I’m very proud of our HPE team in India for their contribution to the 2019 Global Day of Service”, said Som Satsangi, MD, HPE India. “Our employees have been empowered to go out and find causes they care about, and strengthened relationships with the local community in Bengaluru, Chennai, Gurugram, and Mumbai. We have gained a great sense of teamwork and pride in the process and once again shown the strong commitment of HPE to India.”
As part of its employee-led approach, this year HPE has enabled volunteers to participate in individual projects for causes that they care about. HPE employees are offered 60 hours per year in paid time off for volunteering, with the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Foundation providing up to $5,000 in annual matching per employee. Those who are not able to participate in group events can also contribute through online virtual volunteer projects, allowing employees to participate individually at a time that is convenient to them, for example supporting STEM education and careers guidance initiatives for young people.
In India, around 2450 employees participated in volunteer activities across seven sites in Bengaluru, Chennai, Gurugram, and Mumbai. Volunteer activities include Science Fair & Science Excursion for Children, Rise against Hunger, Schools Beautification, and Visit to old age Home in Bengaluru; Science Fair for Children in Chennai; Tree Plantation Drive in Gurugram; and Beach Clean Up in Mumbai.
Other Global Day of Service volunteer events include:
– In Brisbane, Australia, HPE is supporting local lifeguards by assisting with cleaning boats and removing trash from beaches
– In Dalian, China, volunteers will participate in recycling activities at a local waste management site
EUROPE, MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA
– In London, UK, HPE volunteers are clearing public pathways, creating habitats for the local wildlife and improving the diversity of plants
– In Aryanah, Tunisia, local volunteers are renovating a school and provide new schoolbags and equipment for students
– In Sao Paolo, Brazil, the local HPE team are organizing games and other activities for the elderly
– In Buenos Aires, Argentina, local volunteers are preparing meals for homeless people
– In Fort Collins, CO, HPE volunteers are assembling meal packages to support school feeding programs globally
– In San Jose, CA, volunteers are contributing to a program that provides women with professional attire, business tools and career support