New Delhi: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, the first national institute for post-graduate studies and research in management by the Government of India and well known for the superior campus facilities that the institute offers its students, has got a new state of the art amphitheatre. It is noteworthy to mention Shri. Pranab Kumar Mukherjee, Hon’ble President of India inaugurated this academic complex, during his recent visit to the campus.
Major Features of the Amphitheatre
• The triangular shaped Amphitheatre has a height of around 19 metersat its peak and is of 63,000 sqft area
• The building designed in keeping with convenience of differently abled persons in every aspect; be it be the ramp, class room, toilet or the lift
• Aesthetically designed central lobby and hang outs
• State of the art firefighting arrangements which includes water hydrants, fire response indicator, standalone fire extinguishers etc
• The building is integrated with a beautifully designed hard and soft landscaping
• The Amphitheatre being built opposite the existing Library & Information Centre with one connecting wing formed by the recently added new academic building and upon construction of the eastern wing in future on the opposite side would complete the academic quadrangle
The amphitheatre includes sophisticated facilities and advanced multi-media features with updated IT amenities, those enhance the student-teacher interaction experience. This new complex is another feature added to the campus which is regarded as the B-School which offers one of the best on-campus living experiences amongst Indian B-Schools.
Commenting on the new structure, Mr. D K Misra, Advisor, Engineering division, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta said, “The architecture focuses on sustainability”. He further added, “The structures use multi-level arcades, protected from rain, to inter-connect five levels of syndicate rooms, conference rooms, classrooms, teaching amphitheatres, faculty offices, and the financial research and trading laboratory. This is futuristic too and will eventually integrate with the planned quadrangle that would gift the campus with sense of more space and convenience.”
The amphitheatre has been developed as a single academic complex with five large classrooms which includes two 100-seater classrooms, two 150-seaters classrooms and one large 250-seater classroom. The complex has been designed to tackle the demand for large sized classroom to accommodate varying sizes of student batches. The IIMC campus is continually updated to facilitate learning through cutting-edge information technology environment which offers the latest classroom instructional technology, computing, video conferencing, and integrated collaboration services. The amphitheatre is a step in the said direction and raises the benchmark of classroom teaching.