Bengaluru: India’s flagship technology event, The Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020, came to a closure. Dr. C.N. Ashwath Narayan, Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka and Minister for IT, BT and S&T, delivered the valedictory speech at the closing ceremony today. Organized by the Department of Electronics, IT, Bt and S&T of the Government of Karnataka, this was the 23rd edition of Bengaluru Tech Summit and the first virtual version of the event.
The valedictory function was presided by Shri Jagadish Shettar, Minister of Large & Medium Scale Industries, Government of Karnataka, Shri B.C. Patil , Minister of Agriculture Department, Government of Karnataka ; Shri Basavaraj Bommai, Minister of Home Department, Government of Karnataka, Dr. K Sudhakar, Minister of Health & Family welfare and Medical Education, Government of Karnataka and Shri. Suresh Kumar, Minister of Primary & Secondary Education and Sakala, Government of Karnataka.
Speaking on the occasion of the valedictory ceremony of Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020, Dr. C.N. Ashwath Narayan, Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka and Minister for IT, BT and S&T said, “Bengaluru has always taken charge to lead the transformation of India with innovation, science and technology. The theme of this year’s summit was “Next is Now”, building on the success of our event last year. Innovation, especially in leveraging disruptive technologies, is the need of the hour. Through the sessions, panels, presentations, knowledge café, etc., we have created a larger platform for exchange of knowledge and ideas. This year, it was a matter of great privilege to have the presence of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi ji inaugurate the Summit this year. The Hon’ble Prime Minister’s presence and inspiring words gave us all the energy over the last three days. We were honored by the virtual presence from H.E. Mr. Scott Morrison, Hon’ble Prime Minister of Australia and H.E. Mr. Guy Parmelin, Vice President of Swiss Confederation.”
He further added, “The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the need for rapid innovation, synergies between biotechnology and information technology and global cooperation. BTS 2020 is the ideal platform for achieving these aims. Our Government is committed to ensure that these technologies and innovations are made in Karnataka for the world, in collaboration with leading minds and to alleviate the life of the common man.”
The 23rd edition of the Summit was conducted under the guidance of the Chairmen and Members of the three Vision Groups on IT, Biotech and Start-ups. For the first time, an International Advisory Group was also formed to ensure a global perspective while designing the conference. BTS is the only event in India which has brought together India’s leading cross sectoral industry organizations like NASSCOM, TiE, ELCIA, IESA, ABAI, ABLE, CLIK and IACC on a common platform.
The Summit had leading innovators, scientists and tech evangelists participating from all across the globe. As part of the Global Innovation Alliances (GIA) track, there were 16 GIA sessions by international partners – Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Japan, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and Taiwan. Several industry also engaged with the Karnataka ecosystem during BTS 2020. Some of them included Mr. Anand Mahindra, Chairman of Mahindra Group; Mr. Amit Agarwal, Head of Amazon India, Mr. Sonam Wangchuk, the renowned innovator, Dr. Steve Jolly, Co-Founder of Lockheed Martin, Dr. Meyya Meyappan, Chief Scientist, Space Exploration, NASA Ames; Mr. Rajan Anandan, Managing Director, Sequoia Capital and Surge; and Shri Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev.
Highlights of BTS 2020
· 12 keynote addresses, 93 sessions and 357 speakers
· 731 foreign delegates from 25 countries
· 10 ministers level delegation
· State of Karnataka finalized Eight (8) MoUs and Intentions for Collaboration with GIA partner institutions
· For the first time, a specific track was dedicated to the field of Agri-Tech
· Launch of the first Karnataka BioEconomy Report (KBER) 2020 on Day 2 of the Summit
· 146 startups showcased innovation in IT, electronics, IoT, healthcare, Medtech, Agritech, Fintech, Edtech and mobility sectors
· The 21st edition of the Rural IT Quiz saw participation from over 150 districts across 6 States
· The 13th edition of the BioQuiz saw 70% participation from girl students, with 5 girls as finalists
· Smart Bio Awards conferred to companies and organizations in five different categories
· 53 Biotech Posters from leading Universities and R&D Institutes
· STPI IT Export Awards conferred to IT companies for their performance and contribution to IT industry by awarding them in different categories every year
· 9,870, Expo visitors
The 24th Edition of the Bengaluru Tech Summit is scheduled from 18th to 20th November, 2021.