4 Integral Features You Must Have in a Next-Generation LMS
Technology is ever-evolving in almost all aspects of the world today and the same holds true for the education sector. With constant changes in globalisation, student demographics, economic influences, and other factors, educational institutes now have to keep up with new innovations in order to affect the necessary advancements. While technological innovations offer the answers needed to address new challenges, it is up to the educators to ensure they are fully utilising the capabilities of the latest technologies.
While learning management systems (LMS) offer a number of features that have made learning more effective and efficient, it is of prime importance to ensure that the LMS you are using meets next-gen standards of innovation and provides features that can help face new challenges posed in modern times.
Here are the 4 integral features to look for when investing in a next-gen LMS:
- Cloud-Based Delivery
A number of industry analysts believe that a next-generation LMS provides an optimum solution only if it keeps up with the latest technological advancements and offers cloud-based delivery. This feature ensures that the system is flexible and agile and enables both informal as well as formal learning. Cloud-based delivery for the LMS would also make it easy for students to direct their pace of learning by themselves. In coming times, when AI would be a much more tangible aspect of technology, the open standards of cloud delivery would be a key factor in LMS.
Benefits of Cloud-Based Delivery in Next-Gen LMS
- It will provide easy and immediate access to students.
- All the data will be secure.
- The cloud offers scalability.
- The students can get universal access via mobile devices.
- With cloud-based delivery, offline syncing of data will be easier.
- Cloud enables automatic product updates.
Interoperability is a vital component of next-generation Learning Management Systems. The main purpose of including interoperability in the system is to provide an open platform to students while offering the exchange of learning data and important integrated tools.
With the help of open standards in interoperability, the entire Learning Management System is equipped to offer a wide variety of learning tools and processes to students as well as to the faculty. This integral feature allows for information related data and content to be shared across various solutions, learning tools, and applications in one learning platform.
Key Highlights of the Interoperability Function
- It can exchange and accept circular content in all the common formats.
- It also can extract data from the LMS.
- There is no need to get IT support while adding tools to your learning environment. It can be done easily and quickly by you.
- It can integrate, analyse, and aggregate learning content and data from different sources.
- The available content can be personalised and individualised for students.
- Flexible Way of Teaching and Engaging Students
One of the best features of next-generation LMS is that it offers various flexible ways of engaging and teaching students. The entire system brings variety and different types of learning experiences that can help educational institutes deliver better classes. Adhering to this feature, the entire system has to be designed in such a way that it is flexible enough to support various models. In that sense, LMSs support personalising and differentiating experiences of the course itself. On the other hand, the teachers and lecturers can also find ways to scale their expertise and attention to suit their requirements.
Ways in Which LMS can Boost Student Engagement
- By creating innovative online models for students to learn better.
- Providing a better and more extensive level of personalisation in learning.
- It has features like calendar reminders that notify students about their quizzes or final assignment dates.
- Courses for individual students can be pre-defined and served only when specific proof of acknowledgement is achieved.
- It makes learning more effective as it offers the opportunity to integrate social and collaborative tools.
- Student Retention, Monitoring, and Intervention Tools
One of the most important things to know about students is where they stand in every subject and what (if anything) is causing them to underperform. LMS that works with AI can intelligently access and determine which student needs more attention as compared to others. After assessing this, it automates personalised ways for communicating progress, assisting with gaps in knowledge, and ways to intervene.
If you are an educator, you need to be agile just like your LMS which offers true next-gen capabilities that make it future-ready. The world today is learning online and that’s perhaps the biggest incentive you need to inculcate LMS into your way of teaching.