Ph.D in International Relations is a doctorate level degree course in the field of Political Science particularly stressing on the field of International Relations. The duration of this course is 5 years. The minimum eligibility criterion to get admission to Ph.D in International Relations is a post graduate degree in the relevant discipline. This course is available in various colleges across India and Abroad.
Admission to Ph.D program in International Relations will be granted based on the percentage of marks obtained by the students in the postgraduate level however, some colleges also offer admission to this program on the basis of candidate’s score in the entrance examination. On completion of this course, students can have numerous options to choose from. Students can make a career in the field of Diplomacy, Research, News Industry, Political Analysis, Foreign Relation Analysis, Writing etc. To know more about the career prospects and benefits of doing Ph.D in International Relations, read the article given below.
Ph.D (International Relations): Overview
|Type of Course||Research Level|
|Duration of Course||Ranges from 3 years to 5 years|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance Based|
|Eligibility||PG/ M.Phil with an aggregate of at least 55% in UG level|
|Top recruiting areas||Diplomacy, News Channels, Research Laboratories, Colleges and Universities, Writing etc.|
|Job Profiles||Foreign Service Officer, News Editor, International Relation Expert, Researcher, Author, Professor, Blogger etc.|
|Course Fees||Ranges from INR 11,000 to INR 2,40,000|
Who should opt for Ph.D in International Relations?
Nowadays, this course is in great demand and offers numerous jobs to students from this field. One can opt for this course if he/ she fulfils the conditions mentioned below:
- Completed PG degree in the field of International Relations
- This course is suitable for those who want to make career in Foreign Services
- This course is well suited to those students who want to do some kind of Research and Analysis in this field
Ph.D in International Relations: Career Prospects
If you are a pass out from the field of International Relations, you have numerous options to choose from in terms of your career. You can work as a Foreign Service Officer, News Editor, International Relations Expert, Researcher, Author, Professor, Blogger etc. on completion of this program. If you are looking forward to work in Abroad, then this course proves to be a milestone for your career.
You can go for the jobs mentioned below after completing Ph.D in International Relations:
- Foreign Service Officer: The job of a Foreign Service Officer involves working at the Secretarial level in the Ministry or Department related to foreign matters. You can get an average salary of around INR 7.5 – 8.5 lacs per annum while doing this job.
- News Editor – A News Editor in International Relations has to edit the news material related to Foreign Affairs and International matters. The average annual salary offered to individuals working as a News Editor is around INR 3.24- 3.68 lacs.
- International Relation Expert – An International Relation Expert is the one who is indulge in the task of discussing and presenting the international issues in various forums. The average annual salary offered to an International Relation Expert ranges from INR 3.14 – 3.46 lacs.
- Professor – On completion of this course, students can also work as a Professor in the field of International Relations at the College/ University level. You can get an average salary ranging between INR 2.90 lacs to 3.32 lacs in this job.
- Researcher – The job of a researcher involves analysis and research in the field of International Relations such as he/ she has to study the trends and patterns in this field. The average salary offered to individuals in this profession ranges from INR 2.80 lacs to INR 3.32 lacs
This is a popular course which is in great demand nowadays. If you love to discover new things and want to indulge in some sort of research activities, you can definitely opt for this program.