The British Embassy in Santiago is among 28 organisations in Chile that today, 27 May, received Equidad CL Certification, an initiative recognising employers and workplaces committed to LGBTI+ inclusion. The award is given by Fundación Iguales and Pride Connection, two of Chile’s leading LGBTI+ civil rights organisations, in conjunction with the Human Rights Campaign, one of the world’s largest NGOs promoting LGBTI+ rights and the creator of the Corporate Equality Index.
This year, a total of 95 companies and one public sector organisation participated in the certification process and its assessment of how inclusive and diverse employers are regarding the recruitment, promotion and retention of LGBTI+ staff. The British Embassy in Santiago scored 100 points (out of 100), performing strongly across each element assessed as part of the accreditation, including:
- a diversity and inclusion policy covering the non-discrimination of staff on the basis of their gender, sexual orientation or gender identity
- a recruitment process that does not discriminate against job applicants due to their gender, sexual orientation or gender identity
- learning and development sessions for embassy staff, including workshops with internal and external organisations, on topics such as unconscious bias, same-sex marriage, same-sex adoption, and human rights issues affecting LGBTI+ people
- a network of LGBTI+ staff and allies within the organisation’s overall corporate structure which, among other actions, provides support to all staff regarding relevant LGBTI+ topics and promotes inclusion within Embassy work locally
- activities involving the local community, showing an active and distinctive role reflecting the UK´s partnership and collaboration with the local LGBTI+ community
A force for good
The Embassy is both the only foreign diplomatic mission in Chile and the only British Embassy in the Latin American region to receive this recognition. It is also the first public sector organisation to receive the certification. The Embassy’s efforts to promote LGBTI+ inclusion and its partnership and collaboration with Chile’s LGBTI+ community is part of the UK Government’s wider commitment to play an active role internationally to eradicate discrimination, including on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, and to promoting diversity and tolerance.
The British Embassy was awarded the highest rating in the Equidad CL certification for both its effort to create a more diverse and inclusive labour environment for LGBTI+ people in Chile, but also for its lasting commitment to the local LBGTI+ community. This has been the case since the first time the Embassy flew the rainbow flag above its building in 2012, becoming the first foreign mission in Chile to do so. Today, the British Embassy remains in close partnership with Chile’s leading civil society organisations and their efforts to protect and promote LGBTI+ rights both in Chile, in the region and across the world.