Bureau of Police Research and Development celebrated its 50th Foundation Day
New Delhi: The Bureau of Police Research and Development celebrated its 50th Foundation Day today. The Golden Jubilee Foundation Day was organized on a virtual platform from the North Block in view of Corona pandemic. Sh. G Kishan Reddy, Hon’ble MoS Home, graced the function as the Chief Guest and delivered his invaluable message in the august presence of Sh. Ajay Bhalla, Union Home Secretary and several senior serving and retired Officers of MHA, CAPFs, State Police Forces, Academia, Member of National Police Mission (NPM), Civil Service Organizations, BPR&D officials and their families, who joined the function through the web link.
2. The programme started with the welcome address of DG, BPR&D, followed by the keynote address of Union Home Secretary. Thereafter, the Chief Guest, Hon’ble MoS, Home carried out the e-inauguration of the newly constructed state-of-the-art campus of CDTI Jaipur and the launch ofonline course from the new campus on ‘Tourist Safety’, which was joined by 40 Officers online and offline. Thereafter, the message of Sh. Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, was read out by Smt. PunyaSalila Srivastava, JS(IS), MHA. The Hon’ble PM conveyed his best wishes on the occasion, appreciated the efforts of BPR&D for its unwavering commitment in the service of the nation and conveyed his ideas for making Police Forces ‘Citizen-Centric’ and ‘Citizen Friendly’ through continuous updating of skills, research and training.
3. The Hon’ble Chief Guest also released BPR&D stamp to commemorate the Golden Jubilee. Thereafter, hereleased the Golden Jubilee Souvenir, Compendium on Covid-19, which captures good practices adopted by the different Police Forces in the fight against Corona pandemic and Repository of Research.He also launched the newly created website of the ‘Student Police Cadet Programme’. This website would work as a bonding platform for school students, teachers and Police.
4. While appreciating the role of the BPR&D, the Hon’ble Minister mentioned that BPR&D has to take the role of the guiding force for adoption and implementation of technology in the field of Policing and Correctional Administration. He, further, emphasizedthe need to strengthen the ‘KhabriSystem’ over and above the technical gadgetries andto enhance the outreach of policethrough Community Policing. He also appreciated the contribution of BPR&D for training over 55,000 Police Officers and men in the last 5 years, including 3,000 Police Officers from SAARC and other friendly nations. He applauded the efforts of the BPR&D for conducting online webinars and e-workshops and special course for Officers of 25 friendly countries during the lockdown. He emphasized the need for better coordination amongst the training institutes to utilize the training facilities of the training institutes. While emphasizing the need for evidence based policing, he impressed upon the need for more Mobile Forensic Teams, at least at District level and for distribution of Evidence Collection Kit provided under Nirbhaya fund. Further, he assured for all the help and assistance to the BPR&D.
5. In his keynote address, Sh. Ajay Bhalla, Union Home Secretary, acknowledged the role of the Indian Police, in facinggrave challenges and also the role of BPR&D in modernization and capacity building of the India Police Forces. He,further highlighted and appreciated the contributionmade by the BPR&D like the recently established Space Technology Application Centre (STAC), Student Police Cadet (SPC)Programme Website, Model Prison Manual,Data on Police Organizations and Directory of Police Training Institutions, etc.
6. Sh. V S K Kaumudi, DG, BPR&D, welcomed the Chief Guest and others in the function and talked about the different projects undertaken by the BPR&Dto promote the concept of SMART policing. He further mentioned the efforts made by the BPR&D to equip the Indian Police Forces through specialized training programmes to meet special challenges. He emphasized about the efforts being made to promote human rights, soft skills, etc. Further, he made a special mention about Data on Police Organizations, Directory of Indian Police Training Institutions and Compendium of Equipment and its policy implications.He also mentioned the 2 days e-workshop recently organized for the friendly nation, which was attended by 100 participants from 25 nations from 5 Continents. He further mentioned about the contribution of BPR&D towards organizing Smart India Hackathon 2020, establishment of Space Technology Application Centre (STAC), distribution of 15,000 Evidence Collection Kit for offences against women, the popularity of Student Police Cadet Programme, etc.
7. On the occasion of Golden Jubilee Celebration, Sh. V S K Kaumudi, DG, BPR&D, inaugurated a new SBI ATM at Gate No. 2, BPR&D Headquarters, Mahipalpur, New Delhi. It will facilitate BPR&D, NCRB, CISF personnel and general public.
8. At the end, Sh. Santosh Mehra, ADG, BPR&D, gave the Vote of Thanks to the Chief Guest and all the distinguished guests and invitees.