The Faculty of Dentistry of the University of Hong Kong hosted a Clinical Pledging Ceremony for Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) students at 3.30 pm on 4 September 2020 at the Prince Philip Dental Hospital. This ceremony was organised by the Faculty for the thirteenth time. The Clinical Pledging represents the BDS Year 2 students’ solemn commitment of taking on their responsibilities of providing clinical treatments to patients, while meeting both professional and ethical standards. The Ceremony marks an important milestone for dental students.
Under the testimony of the Guest of Honor, Mr Huen Wong, BBS, JP, Chairman, Board of Governors of The Prince Philip Dental Hospital, Professor Thomas Flemmig, Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry, a group of professors and dentists, the BDS3* took the following oath:
“I do hereby pledge:
- To observe faithfully the rules and regulations regarding personal conduct and patient care set forth by the University of Hong Kong, the Faculty of Dentistry and the Prince Philip Dental Hospital;
- To accept my professional responsibility to treat, to the best of my ability, all who entrust themselves to me for care with confidentiality and compassion;
- To conduct myself at all times in a manner which will merit the respect of patients, Faculty and Hospital staff, fellow students and the community;
- To uphold the honour and integrity of the dental profession and to strive to contribute to its progress and to the betterment of the community;
- To continue to strive to advance my knowledge and skills throughout the remainder of my education and professional career. “
The Clinical Pledging Ceremony concluded with a big round of applause.