New Delhi: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, the organising institute for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) – 2020, has launched the GATE official website (http://gate.iitd.ac.in/) on Tuesday.
The examination, result dates and application fee structure have also been announced.
GATE 2020 will be conducted for 25 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and it would be distributed over 1st, 2nd, 8th & 9th of February 2020. The GATE examination centres are spread in different cities across India, as well as, in six cities outside India. The examination would be purely a Computer Based Test (CBT).
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of examination data. The GATE 2020 score is valid for three years from the date of announcement of the results.
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||Tuesday||3rd September 2019|
|Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||Tuesday||24th September 2019|
|Extending Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||Tuesday||1st October 2019|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||Friday||15th November 2019|
|Admit Card will be avaialble in the Online Application Portal (for printing)||Friday||3rd January 2020|
GATE 2020 Examination
Forenoon: 9:30AM to 12:30 PM (Tentative)
Afternoon: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM (Tentative)
|1st February 2020
2nd February 2020
8th February 2020
9th February 2020
|Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal||Monday||16th March 2020|
Speaking after launching the GATE 2020 website, Prof V. Ramgopal Rao, Director, IIT Delhi said: “GATE has become a benchmark examination for engineering education in the country. Many public sector companies in India are also using GATE for recruitment purposes. Over one million engineering graduates are expected to take the GATE examination in 2020. There is no equivalent examination in the world, which is conducted at the scale and quality as the GATE examination, and in such diverse engineering disciplines. Kudos to the IIT faculty for their dedication and commitment in maintaining the standards of GATE year after year. GATE 2020 will be no exception. As the coordinating institute, IIT Delhi GATE team is leaving no stone unturned for smooth conduct of this examination.”
Speaking on this occasion, Chairman, GATE, IIT Delhi said: “In GATE 2020, a new paper, called Biomedical Engineering (BM), has been added. Also GATE 2020 examination shall be conducted in additional cities including Srinagar.”
The following candidates are eligible to appear in GATE 2020:
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc/ Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture (Five years course)/ Naval Architecture (Four years course) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Bachelor’s degree holders of 4-year programe in science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Holders of 4-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post B.Sc) in Engineering / Technology and those who are in the second or higher year of such programmes.
- Holders of 5-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the fourth or higher year of such programmes.
- Holders of 5-year Integrated M. Sc or 5-year Integrated B. Sc/ M.Sc Dual Degree and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
Candidate with qualification obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/ AICTE as equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech. Those who have completed section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven IITs (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to: (i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and (ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science, in the institutions supported by the MHRD and other Government agencies.
Even in some colleges and institutions, which admit students without MHRD scholarship/assistantship, the GATE qualification is mandatory. Further, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science.