Mandi: Indian Institute of Technology Mandi has called for applications for a short-term course on ‘Finite Element Method for Engineers and Researchers (FEMER) 2019.’ The course is being offered from 24th to 28th June 2019.
Interested persons can apply by submitting a registration form to the coordinator on or before 30th May 2019 through the course website:
Designed especially for engineers and researchers, the objective of the one-week course is to introduce the participants to Finite Element Analysis (FEA) based numeric simulations using commercial software packages such as ANSYS, LS-DYNA and ABAQUS.
The subject experts delivering lectures in this course are:
Ø Prof. Indira Vir Singh, IIT Roorkee
Ø Dr. Rajeev Kumar, IIT Mandi
Ø Dr. Himanshu Pathak, IIT Mandi
Ø Dr. Subhamoy Sen, IIT Mandi
Ø Dr. Pramod Kumar, IIT Mandi
Ø Dr. Arpan Gupta, IIT Mandi
Ø Dr. Gaurav Bhutani, IIT Mandi
Speaking about the importance of this course, Dr. Himanshu Pathak, Course Coordinator and Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, IIT Mandi, said, “Finite Element Method (FEM) is a numerical and computer-based technique for solving a variety of practical engineering problems that arise in different domain namely structural analysis, fluid flow, heat transfer, vibrations, electrical and magnetic fields, etc. The course will have detailed discussion on finite element methodology for different engineering problem domains. This one week course has been designed to introduce FEM to engineers and researchers so that they will be equipped to solve scientific problems. This course will be particularly beneficial for engineering students, engineers and scientists working in various institutions. At the end of the course, participants may be in position to identify and select appropriate finite element methodologies for specific conditions.”
This course is open to the faculty members, students from Engineering Institutes/ Colleges/ Polytechnics and Practicing Engineers and Researchers from Industries and R&D institutions. The course will also provide a thorough idea of the Finite Element Method (FEM) from the fundamental concepts to more advanced topics to the participants which will help them to write their own codes and implement these novel methods to solve numeric simulations. At the end of this course, the participants will be in a position to identify and select appropriate finite element methodologies for specific conditions.
The primary objective of this course includes:
- Exposing the participants to need of computational approach and scope of FEM solutions
- Fundamental implementation concepts in FEM, Weighted residual methods/ weak form formulations, application in structural and thermal problems
- Explore non – linear FEM, solution methodology by non – linear FEM and case study
- Limitations of FEM, Extension of a partition of unity framework and enrichment technique for novel computational methodology like XFEM
- Train the participants with the implementation of FEM, Non-linear FEM and XFEM and discuss convergence and effectiveness of the method through the solution of a wide range of realistic engineering problems
- Detailed programming and implementation sessions of FEM and XFEM; where participants will gain an understanding of MATLAB code for these computational techniques. Base program for the computational methods will be given to understand the working of codes.
Intimation of selection will be communicated to the participants by 10th June 2019.