Penn State has scheduled the delivery of an oversized load — a new Heat Recovery Steam Generator boiler — that will arrive at the West Campus Steam Plant CHP project at University Park on Monday, Feb. 8. The boiler, which weighs more than 96 tons and is 41 feet long, arrived at the former Corning facility in State College last week via rail.
The boiler will make the final 6-mile leg of its journey to the steam plant at the corner of Burrowes Road and College Avenue on a transport trailer with a Pennsylvania State Police escort and flaggers. The boiler will leave the former Corning facility promptly at 9:30 a.m. to avoid conflicts with school bus traffic at Spring Creek Elementary School, and it is anticipated to arrive at the West Campus Steam Plant job site by 11:30 a.m.
There will be rolling lane closures southbound on College Avenue (PA Route 26), as well as both lanes of Houserville and Puddintown roads and Steam Drive. Motorists are asked to remain mindful of this transport as they traverse the local roadways.
The delivery also will result in the following impacts to CATABUS service between 9:30 a.m. and noon on Monday:
The following stops located along Burrowes Street/Burrowes Road will be closed:
- Deike Building (stop #2)
- Waring Commons (stop #3)
- Rec Hall (stop #358)
- Westgate Building (stop #359)
- James Elliott Building (stop #360)
The following detours will be in place for the K, HM and P routes:
- K Route: Buses will follow normal routing to South Burrowes Street at Calder Way (stop #248), after which they will turn left onto College Avenue, right onto North Atherton Street, right onto Curtin Road Extension, and left onto Curtin Road to resume normal routing.
- HM Route: Buses will follow normal routing to Pattee Transit Center westbound, after which they will turn right onto Curtin Road Extension, left onto North Atherton Street and left onto Beaver Avenue (with a permissible courtesy stop on Beaver Avenue near Burrowes Street) and resume normal routing.
- P Route: Buses will follow normal routing to Curtin Road Extension, after which they will turn left onto Curtin Road, service Pattee Transit Center eastbound, turn left onto Allen Road, left onto Park Avenue, left onto North Atherton Street, and left onto Beaver Avenue (with a permissible courtesy stop on Beaver Avenue near Burrowes Street) and resume normal routing.
- Other CATABUS routes that travel along College Avenue may experience delays.
No Campus Shuttle stops will be closed but delays during the delivery timeframe are likely. Real-time bus and shuttle locations can be found on the TransLoc mobile app or by visiting https://psu.transloc.com.
Access to and from the Red K parking areas while Steam Drive and Burrowes Road are closed will only be available via Atherton Street northbound by traveling through the parking lot of the former FedEx Office building.