Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile: Second dose of the vaccine

Last week, from the UC, some preliminary results of the “CoronaVac03CL Clinical Study” were released. According to research by university academics, 90% of those inoculated produce antibodies two weeks after receiving the second dose, but what happens to the remaining 10%?

Photo of a woman with a syringe and a vaccine
photo_cameraAccording to specialist Susan Bueno, it is necessary to study the immune components that people could develop within the remaining 10%. Photo: Karina Fuenzalida.

“Fourteen days after the second dose, the presence of antibodies was observed in 90% of the people recruited with the CoronaVac vaccine from Sinovac when the 14-day vaccination schedule between doses was applied .” This is one of the results of the “CoronaVac03CL Clinical Study”, which last week was delivered by researchers from the Millennium Institute of Immunology and Immunotherapy and UC academics to the authorities of the Ministries of Health and Science and the deputy director of the Institute of Health Public

According to the information collected in the report, it was observed that these antibodies present after the second dose have neutralizing capacity , that is, they would prevent the entry of the virus into human cells.

One of the doubts that is reiterated regarding the result of this and other vaccines is what happens to the remaining percentage of patients. As Susan Bueno, UC professor and scientific director of the study, explains, this does not mean that there are patients without antibodies .

“What has been mentioned is not synonymous with the absence of antibodies in that 10%. We are conducting additional evaluations to determine other immune components that may have been induced in these people, in whom their response to a stimulus is different from that of the majority for genetic and / or environmental reasons ” , the specialist points out in this Monday’s edition of Publimetro.

It is not synonymous with the absence of antibodies in that 10% of the population – Susan Bueno, scientific director of the Sinovac study in Chile

Comments are closed.