The Ministry of AYUSH has established Central Council for Research in Siddha (CCRS) and Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) which are apex organizations for developing and promoting research & development in Siddha system and Ayurvedic system of medicine respectively in the country including Hyderabad (Telangana). CCRAS has a total of 30 Ayurvedic Research Institutes/Centres/Units located all over India and CCRS has a total of 08 Siddha Research Institutes/Units functioning under it.
Under Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS), one Siddha Wellness Centre at Delhi and two at Chennai are providing treatment facilities. The details of Siddha CGHS Centres are as under:-
KK Nagar Siddha Unit – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Anna Nagar Siddha Unit – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Lodhi Road Siddha Unit – New Delhi
The following steps are taken/being taken by the Ministry of AYUSH in developing the Ayurveda and Siddha Systems of medicine to cure diseases which are presently incurable under allopathy:-
Center for Integrative Oncology (CIO) has been established as a joint venture of All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) and National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR-ICMR) for treatment of cancer.
CCRAS is coordinating, formulating, developing and promoting research in Ayurvedic Sciences on scientific lines. The research activities mainly include Medicinal Plant Research (Medico-ethno botanical Survey, Pharmacognosy and Tissue Culture), Drug Standardization, Pharmacological Research, Clinical Research, Literary Research & Documentation and Tribal Health Care Research Programme and carried out through its 30 Institutes/Centres/Units located at different states across the Country and also in collaboration with reputed academic and research organizations. The outcomes of these researches are being disseminated through research articles, technical reports, Ayush research portal and journals etc.
CCRS is providing health care facilities for various diseases like Psoriasis, Eczema, respiratory disorders, Musculoskeletal diseases, Skin diseases, Respiratory diseases, Women’s Health, Neuro degenerative diseases, Peptic ulcer diseases, Non-healing ulcers, male and female reproductive diseases, non-communicable diseases, vector-borne diseases etc. through its eight peripheral institutes / units.
Siddhar Kaayakalpam, Siddhar Yogam, external therapies like Varmam, Thokkanam and Pura maruthuvam are the strength of Siddha system for prevention, management and treatment of incurable diseases along with internal medications.
Nilavembu Kudineer, a Siddha medicine has proven effect in the prevention and management of Dengue and Chikungunya in epidemic out breaks.
Treatment and management of Dengue in Siddha system offers Nilavembu kashayam and papaya leaf juice which increases platelet count and reduces further complication. Moreover, it proves to be less expensive and highly effective.
Specialized treatments are also being provided by CCRS to the public through Diabetic OPD, Geriatric OPD, Reproductive and Child health care OPD, Varmam, Thokkanam, Bone setting and Yogam OPD.
A. List of the Siddha Research Institutes/units under CCRS:-
Siddha Central Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Siddha Regional Research Institute, Puducherry.
Siddha Regional Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Siddha Clinical Research Unit, Palayamkottai, Tamil Nadu.
Siddha Clinical Research Unit, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Siddha Clinical Research Unit, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Siddha Medicinal Plants Garden, Mettur Dam, Tamil Nadu.
Siddha Clinical Research Unit, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
B. List of the Ayurvedic Research Institutes/Centres/units under CCRAS:-
Central Ayurveda Research Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases, New Delhi.
National Ayurveda Research Institute for Panchakarma, Cheruthuruthy, Kerala.
Central Ayurveda Research Institute for Hepatobiliary Disorders, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Central Ayurveda Research Institute for Drug Development, Kolkata, West Bengal.
Central Ayurveda Research Institute for Respiratory Disorders, Patiala, Punjab.
Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Eye Diseases, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
Raja Ramdeo Anandilal Podar (RRAP) Central Ayurveda Research Institute for Cancer, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
M.S. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Endocrine Disorders, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Drug Development, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
10. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Skin disorders, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
11. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Mother and Child Health, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
12. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Metabolic Disorders, Bangalore, Karnataka.
13. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Life style related Disorders, Trivandrum, Kerala.
14. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Infectious Diseases, Patna, Bihar.
15. Research Ayurveda Regional Institute for Gastro-Intestinal Disorders, Guwahati, Assam.
16. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute, Gangtok, Sikkim.
17. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
18. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Urinary Disorders, Jammu, J&K.
19. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Nutritional Disorders, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh.
20. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute for Skin Disorders, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
21. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute, Ranikhet, Uttarakhand.
22. Regional Ayurveda Research Institute, Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh.
23. Regional Ayurveda Institute for Fundamental Research, Pune, Maharashtra.
24. National Institute of Indian Medical Heritage, Hyderabad, Telangana.
25. Captain Srinivasa Murthy Regional Ayurveda Drug Development Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu .
26. Dr. Achanta Lakshmipati Research Centre for Ayurveda, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
27. Regional Research Center of Ayurveda, Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
28. National Research Institute for Sowa-Rigpa, Leh, Ladakh.
29. Regional Ayurveda Research Centre, Dimapur, Nagaland.
Regional Ayurveda Research Centre, Agartala, Tripura.
This information was given by the Minister of State (IC) for AYUSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.