New Delhi: Members of the Rotary Club of Capital City New Delhi along distinguished guests came together in the capital for “Sammaan Service Excellence Award 2019’’. This year the awards were given in a glittering ceremony held at India Habitat Center, New Delhi.Dr.S.Farooq, President, The Himalaya Drug Company was the Chief Guest for the event.Mr.Sanjay Kumar, IAS, Joint Secretary, MHRD, Govt of India was the guest of honour at the award night.
The Sammaan Awards were constituted by Rotary Club of Capital City New Delhi to fete individuals and organizations who are making significant changes in the lives of others. Rotary is a global network of 1.2 million neighbors, friends, leaders and problem-solvers who come together to make positive, lasting change in communities at home and abroad. Its three constituents are the clubs, Rotary International, and The Rotary Foundation.
For more than 110 years, Rotary members have used their passion, energy and intelligence to take action on sustainable projects. From literacy and peace to water and health, we are always working to better our world, and we stay committed till the end.
Addressing the audience Chief Guest Dr. S. Farooq, President, The Himalaya Durg Company, said “It is a great moment for all of us that the rotary club of the capital city have done a great duty that every society should do. People don’t acknowledge the hard work of those who are investing time for the country”.
Guest of HonourMr Sanjay Kumar, IAS, Joint Secretary, MHRD, Govt of India said, “the work these winners are doing is what the task for the government. He congratulated the awardees and mentioned that suggestions will be looked into thoroughly.
Speaking during the event, ManojAgarwal, President – Rotary Club of Capital City New Delhi said “We are honored to recognize individuals who have contributed to all walks of life. This is our way of acknowledging the exceptional work done by these individual and we are truly honored. We have been doing this since last few years and hope to continue in recognizing the good work”.
Akif Ahmed, Chairman of Sammaan Awards said “The Sammaan award is an annual event instituted and organized by our club. It has been scouring exceptional talents from various walks of life for the past many years. We feel privileged to honour people who not have excelled in their life but have impacted the life of others in one way or the other. It is important that such works are brought to the center stage of our social discourse. We wish to continue the awards with greater zeal and motivation”.
This year the award for was conferred upon:
· Major Devender Pal Singh, a proud Kargil war veteran. Presumed dead during the war, he survived to shine as India’s 1st amputee marathon runner. Famous as Indian Blade runner, he has successfully completed 26 half marathons till date.
· Mr. VipenAhuja actively involved in various social and philanthropic initiatives since 1991. As the Chairman of Ashok ViharVyaparMandal Association (Regd), he was instrumental in seeking relief for traders from entire Delhi belt in 2007-08 and contributed largely in framing the Master Plan of Delhi 2021 in its current form.
· Charity Beds: Government made it compulsory for private hospitals to offer 10 % beds with ALL MEDICINES & TESTS INCLUDED and 25% of all OPD- consultation with doctors to be free.Charitybeds helps all under privileged people achieve healthcare from the available pool.
· Aanchal Malhotra is an artist and oral historian, working with memory and material culture.Her work has been exhibited in Canada, the US, the UK and India.
· Bharati Chaturvediis a global-award winning warrior for environmental justice, a writer, and an advocate for non-violent civil society action.
· Vidisha Baliyanis amulti-talented personality; she was diagnosed with hearing issues during her school but continued, she had a tough time in school, sports training and travel but always came back stronger.
· Dr.GurIqbal Singh Jaiya is a Doctor, Lawyer and a Civil Servant. He spent over 15 years as office in the Indian Administrative Service from 1978 to 1993.
· Zulfkar Ahmad is a social entrepreneur and is the Managing Trustee of BunyaadFoundaton, a trust working in skills development and education field.
· Delhi Langar Seva Society gives about 2000 free meals to hungry people in a battle to eliminate hunger and malnutrition from the streets of Delhi.
· Mr. Shyam Sunder Jyani has devoted his life for the cause of environmental conservation. He has been working on his objectives through massive plantation drives, familial forestry, community sociology, educational programs for Government Schools and College.
· Vineeta Garg is a teacher, trainer, content creator and mentor for hundreds and thousands of students.
· Deeksha Katyalis an Erasmus Mundus Academic fellow with several publications and academic books to her credit. She is also a recipient of ‘Outstanding Women in science’ award.
· Rakhi Agarwalis a President of the Sambal Welfare Society. During her stint with the club various activities namely cataract operations, distribution of clothes, medicines etc to needy ones had been a regular feature.
· Dr.Surendra Kumar Dhaka is an Associate Professor of Physics at Rajdhani College, University of Delhi and also the President of Earth Root Foundation. He is serious and dedicated worker for Environmental issues and climate.