UK scholarships and fellowships for Singaporeans
UK universities are among the best in the world, with a stellar reputation for high-quality teaching and global leading research.
UK degrees and qualifications are of a high standard and internationally valuable, and the UK’s university sector is a research powerhouse, creating innovative, timely solutions to the world’s most pressing problems.
The UK is one of the top choices for Singaporeans, and a wide choice of scholarships and fellowships are available to support study and research there:
Chevening Scholarships are for postgraduate studies in the UK, taught courses at almost any university and on almost any course. Upon completion of their programme, Chevening scholars become part of the Chevening Alumni, an extensive network of professionals from a wide variety of fields.
Among other eligibility requirements, applicants must be able to return to their country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after their award has ended, have at least two years’ work experience, have an undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain entry into a postgraduate programme at a UK University and be able to explain how they are a leader in line of work or area of specialist interest or expertise.
Commonwealth scholarships and fellowships
The Royal Commonwealth Society of Singapore was re-established in 2016 to promote the Commonwealth and to provide new Scholarships and Fellowships for eligible Singaporeans. These are:
- The Singapore Commonwealth Scholarship in Innovation is available to students to undertake a postgraduate programme at a UK University. The programme should include an aspect of research or development in an innovation related area.
- The Singapore Commonwealth Fellowship in Innovation supports applicants with a clear research plan to collaborate with a British institution. Applicants must have an agreement from a university, company, or other body in the UK that they can undertake a Fellowship collaboration with them.
Scholarships awarded by UK universities to Singaporeans
Various Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships are offered by the Cambridge Trust, including the NUS Cambridge Scholarship. This scholarship is available for PhD students who are citizens and permanent residents of Singapore. Applicants should simultaneously apply to the University of Cambridge and the National University of Singapore. Successful applicants are expected to work at NUS after completion of their PhD.
Individual Cambridge Colleges may also offer scholarships to their students. To check for scholarships offered directly by the College you wish to apply to, please refer to their website. An example of this is the Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund provided by Fitzwilliam College, which provides opportunities to support graduate research by talented young academics from Singapore or working in fields with some connection to Singapore. These include:
- the Hong Leong – Lee Kuan Yew Masters Scholarship, which guarantees a full funding package for the successful student for a one-year course
- the Kuok Family – Lee Kuan Yew PhD Scholarship, which guarantees a full funding package for the successful student, for three years, subject to annual review
For postgraduate funding, the University’s Postgraduate Admissions web pages contain extensive information about funding opportunities at Cambridge.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the Singapore Scholarship Fund, worth up to £20,000 for eligible Singaporean nationals to undertake an undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme in Law, Natural & Mathematical Sciences, Arts & Humanities, or Social Science & Public Policy. It will be awarded on the basis of a personal statement as well as demonstrable financial hardship to someone who has firmly accepted a confirmed place.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants including the Friends of the University of Warwick in Singapore Scholarship which is a full scholarship offered to financially disadvantaged Singaporean citizens and permanent residents who have received an undergraduate offer from the university.
Scholarships Awarded by UK Universities to International Students
International applicants holding offers for selected Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes will be eligible for the Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship of £2,000. It is automatically awarded if you meet or exceed the conditions stated in your UCAS offer or have an unconditional offer.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including:
- The Business School International Scholarship (formerly Cass), a scholarship offering £2000 towards Year 1 tuition fees only. Students with outstanding grades who have accepted an offer from City’s Business School as their firm choice are encouraged to apply.
Offers funded studentships for specific PhD projects in a range of research fields. The studentships are open to candidates who have the potential to engage in innovative research and complete the PhD in 3.5 years. The funding includes tuition fees and living expenses. Successful candidates will receive comprehensive research training including technical, personal and professional skills.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the Global Excellence Scholarships, worth up to £25,000, which are awarded to the most inspiring applicants who have demonstrated excellence through academic, extra-curricular or voluntary activities.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the BP Scholarship for up to 10 Durham students studying selected courses in science, engineering, management or economics and is worth £3,000 a year. Recipients will also be fast tracked to an interview for an internship or graduate role. Eligible students in the first term of their first year at Durham are sent details on how to apply and scholarships are awarded based on academic merit and potential.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants from Singapore, including:
- Undergraduate Excellence Scholarships are available for International students of £5,000 per year of study to applicants who can demonstrate excellent academic achievement.
- Over 100 scholarships are available for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees – prestigious, integrated, international, study programmes where students study at University of Glasgow and at one or more of its international partner universities. They cover full tuition fees, monthly stipend and contribution towards travel costs.
- The University of Glasgow is a member of 14 UK-wide Centres for Doctoral Training across the Arts, Social Sciences and Sciences. These offer a range of PhD and MRes scholarships.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the World Scientific Scholarship, which is awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need. This scholarship is open to ASEAN students who have been offered a place at Imperial College London. It is worth £5,000 a year for up to 4 years and subject to satisfactory academic progress.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants including the College of Science and Engineering Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship Schemes, each worth up to £5,600 per year, which are automatically considered upon application based on academic results.
Various Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the Graduate Support Scheme, which is open to eligible applicants for a majority of diploma and taught master’s study. The value of an award ranges from £5,000 to £15,000, depending on financial need.
Various Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants including The Rhodes Scholarship, the oldest international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges. Full tuition fees and an annual stipend are awarded for two years.
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants. Many of QMUL’s scholarships are awarded automatically when entry requirements are met, which means that there is no need to apply separately
- The International Future Leaders Scholarship, which provides a tuition fee reduction of £4,000 in the first year of study for International Students studying any subject with expected grades of ABB at A-level or equivalent, who demonstrate outstanding leadership skills.
- The Electronic Engineering Creativity Scholarship, which is open to new students studying for a degree within the Department of Electronic Engineering. This scheme provides a £1,000 cash award, paid in the first year of study.
Other scholarships include the Business and Management Undergraduate Scholarships (worth £4,000 for the first year and given automatically to all overseas undergraduate students who meet the entry requirements) and the School of Economics and Finance Scholarships (worth £5,000 for first year and awarded automatically to applicants of the School of Economics and Finance on the basis of academic excellence).
A range of scholarships are available to Singaporean students across all faculties and at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Various Undergraduate scholarships and Masters courses are on offer to eligible applicants, including the Chancellor’s International Scholarship (£5,000 fee waiver for any student enrolled in a full time undergraduate or postgraduate degree).
- The President’s International Scholarship, for students who are expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions in their offer. Students who are awarded the scholarship will receive £9000 for the first year and will be expected to be ambassadors for the City community.
Various Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants
Various Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants including:
- The Warwick Undergraduate Global Excellence Scholarships. Under this scheme the University offers 250 tuition fee awards ranging in value from £2,000 to full tuition fees for the full duration of undergraduate studies.
- The Albukhary Undergraduate Scholarships. These scholarships are based on academic merit and financial need and provide £20,000 of funding spread over three years.
- Partial postgraduate scholarships are also offered by various academic departments such as the Warwick Business School and WMG.
- PhD candidates can apply for the Chancellor’s International Scholarships which include full payment of tuition fees, a maintenance stipend and a research, training and supporting grant. A number of departments at the University of Warwick also offer funding for research candidates. More information about these scholarships can be found in the Doctoral College scholarships and funding webpages.
Other Scholarships Awarded to International Students
On offer for outstanding Asian students with ambitions and will support them in their pursuit of higher education in the UK by covering 20% of tuition fees. Application is through the participating UK Universities which can be viewed on their website.
Other schemes which may support study in the UK
Various scholarships are on offer to eligible applicants, including the National Science Scholarship (PhD), a fully funded scholarship enables Singaporean students with a passion for biomedical sciences, physical sciences and engineering, to study at top research universities around the world.
This scholarship was set-up by the Tanjong Pagar Citizens’ Consultative Committee with funding from the public. Restricted to Singaporean citizens, Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship recipients can pursue postgraduate studies overseas or locally to develop their potential as leaders in their respective fields. There are no restrictions on the course of study.
Various research grants are on offer to eligible researchers.