The University of Birmingham Dubai is now inviting applications for Masters in Urban Planning for January 2023 and September 2023 entry.
This MSc Urban Planning programme aims to train the next generation of urban planners, who will need to adopt a multi- and inter-disciplinary approach to address contemporary challenges and solve associated problems faced by urban regions. The teaching is based on world-leading research undertaken at the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham.
Dubai is the ideal place to study Urban Planning given its proposed expansion under the Dubai 2040 Urban Masterplan. The key challenges of realizing such growth in a sustainable manner are explored in-depth in the programme.
The University brings together planning, critical urban studies, environmental science and environmental health to create a programme which addresses the major challenge of rapidly expanding urban areas that confronts both now and the future.
The programme will provide the necessary understanding, skills and knowledge that planners in government, private enterprises, NGOs and communities will need, to provide innovative solutions to complex issues that impact a diverse range of stakeholders. A wide range of teaching approaches will be utilised such as lectures, seminars, practitioner talks, site visits, fieldwork and studio work with an emphasis on teaching that engages with the ‘real world’ as much as possible, utilising Dubai as an urban laboratory.
To enable this, assessments will be authentic and involve living case studies – this will enhance not only understanding and skills but also employability.
Course dates: January 2023 and September 2023.
- A bachelor’s degree of three or four years in duration from a recognised university in India will be considered for the programme
- Holders of bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject will be expected to have achieved 60% or higher. Applicants with 55% who have relevant work experience can be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on the awarding institution
- IELTS: 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in any band.
Application process and admission details: Applications for January 2023 and September 2023 are open and there is no application fee.
Application Deadline: Mid-December for January 2023 intake
Tuition: Overall programme tuition fee for January 2023 and September 2023 full time-course is AED 112,666 (Approx. £26120).
For more details please visit:
The following information will usually be needed before a decision can be made on an application:
- One academic reference (or if appropriate to the programme applied for, it could be from the applicant’s employer)
- Academic transcript(s) for all prior degrees – originals or certified photocopies
- Personal Statement, approximately 5000 characters, explaining why you are interested in studying in your chosen programme
- Certificate to show competency in the English language if English is not your first language and you have already taken a test (not mandatory to submit at the time of application). Students can be considered for a waiver on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants may be required to submit further documents in support of their application.
Scholarship: Scholarship options at the University of Birmingham Dubai are designed to benefit all new students and the financial rewards can be carried forward through the entire programme across the foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels. For January 2023 and September 2023 entry, the university will offer scholarships of up to 40% to Indian students based on academic performance. Please complete an an enquiry form on the course page for more details.
For a personal consultation with the in-country representatives please write to firstname.lastname@example.org