Gurgaon: Great Lakes institute of Management, Gurgaon hosted its first ever TEDxGLIMGurgaon event at its Manesar campus. TEDx is a program of locally organized events that brings the community together to share a TED-like experience. The independently organized event, TEDxGLIMGurgaon, licensed by TED, had 6 luminaries sharing their voices and TED talks videos under the theme of -MANIFOLD.
The event began with lighting of auspicious lamp by the Guests in the presence of Mr. Mohan Lakhamraju, Vice-Chairman and CEO, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Faculty, staff and students.
Welcoming the gathering, Mr. Lakhamraju shared, “it is a proud moment for me today as we are hosting our first TEDxGLIMGurgaon event. I am looking forward to a very exciting day given, that we have such a diverse speaker line-up, ranging from actors, motivational speakers, social entrepreneurs, educators to economists. He also expressed his passion for impactful education by quoting that “The True purpose of education is to convert mirrors to windows”. He elaborated that high quality education not only offers a secure future but also broadens perspective, teaches us to value others and be humble”.
The eclectic list of speakers for TEDxGLIMGurgaon was:-
1. Dr. Akash Khurana – The versatile and multi – talented actor/producer /entrepreneur spoke on the topic – “Secret Recipe for his Diversity”. Dr. Khurana shared the anecdotes from his life journey and inspired students to follow their passion and also emphasized on the importance of having right mentors in life.
2. Mr. Vivek Atray – Having played multiple roles is his life such as being an inspirational speaker, independent advisor, author, columnist, visiting professor and also a former IAS Officer, Mr. Atray motivated the audience to think about “Life and its real goals”.
3. Ms. Arushi Batra- Aarushi is an MSc graduate from the prestigious London School of Economics and an altruist who co-founded Robin Hood Army. She also acts as an Executive Director for Business Development at SMP Autocomp Systems Pvt. Ltd. Ms. Batra spoke on her story of “Being a Robin” and how we all can make difference in society by our acts.
4. Prof. S K Palhan- Prof S. K. Palhan is a former Industrial Advisor to the Ministries of Industries, Government of India. Currently he is a Professor in the field of Operations at Great Lakes Institute of Management, Gurgaon. He is involved in many Social Activities and has taken up rural development programmes in remote villages of Uttarakhand in Chamoli District. His area of talk was on “Self-Effectiveness and the Power of Meditation”, something he has authored a book for as well.
5. Dr. Shubhashis Gangopadhyay- Dr. Shubhashis Gangopadhay is the Founder and Research Director of India Development Foundation and also serves as a Professor and a visiting Professor in many Universities. He has also served as a Professor in ISI. Also, he has served as the Chief Economic Advisor to the then Finance Minister P Chidambaram. He has also served in man such positions in Global governing bodies like that of World Bank and South Asia’s Economic Advisory Council. His talk revolved around unintended consequences of policy making and how it can be bettered.
6. Mr. Nagakarthik MP – The Co-founder of SauraMandala, an initiative to get sustainable solar power to remote communities in India. A working professional turned Social Entrepreneur he aims at providing new way of life to those who don’t have an access to the life that a normal citizen is able to get. His talk was about his “Breswana Project”.
TEDxGLIMGurgaon sponsors included: I Cube Nanotec India Pvt. Ltd.
The event also witnessed some mesmerizing performances by Great Lakes Gurgaon students. The day ended on the note of all the attendees going back home with a memorable experience and lots of food for thoughts.